Cincinnati Reds pull off 56-year first in win over Houston Astros
HOUSTON – The way this road trip has looked so far for the Cincinnati Reds, manager Terry Francona was right to sweat when an 11-run lead was quickly knocked down to four after the Astros batted around against two of his pitchers in the third inning Saturday night.
"Kind of felt like being at the dentist," Francona said after the Reds (20-21) survived for a 13-9 victory. "Everything came out OK. But it wasn't really all that fun."
How crazy was this one?
The Reds sent 14 men to the plate and scored 10 runs in the first inning, knocking out former All-Star Lance McCullers eight batters into his second start since missing two years recovering from elbow surgery.
Whether the lengthy idle time during the long inning iced Reds starter Brady Singer, he wasn't as effective as he's been most of the early going in the season, and the Astros took advantage in the third with a six-run inning, Victor Caratini's two-run homer with one out making it 12-8 and knocking Singer out of the game.
"I was so glad even when we just tacked on one later," Francona said. "Just because they were coming."
The Reds' record for biggest lead blown in a loss is nine, done twice, including a loss at home to Pittsburgh down the stretch in 2023.
As it was, the Reds' 10-run first and Astros' six-run third added up to just the fourth time in team history they scored that many in an inning and gave up that many in an inning of the same game. Also:
- Aug. 3, 1969 at Philadelphia (scored 10 in fifth, allowed seven in sixth)
- May 22, 1895 vs. Boston (10 in seventh, allowed six in ninth)
- June 18, 1893 vs. Louisville (14 in first, allowed six in eighth)
"There was a lot. But we stepped on them early," said leadoff man TJ Friedl, who reached base five times, including twice with two runs scored in the first. "And I think the biggest thing is we stayed in control the whole time. They punched back a couple times. And for us we answered back a few innings in there and stepped back."
It was a much needed win for a team that had lost six of seven overall, including four of the first five during a seven-game road trip that included two extra-inning losses in Atlanta and four injuries that sent players to the IL.
"It's kind of letting go and just playing free, being aggressive," Friedl said, "And that's us. That's who we are. We know our potential. We know what we have."
Along the way, outfielder Connor Joe went 2-for-4 with a walk, run, RBI and stolen base in his Reds debut the day after being acquired in a trade from the San Diego Padres.
He's the fourth Red since 1900 to have at least two hits, a walk and a steal in his team debut (per Elias Sports Bureau) – just the second in the last 75 years.
Jay Bruce did it in 2008.
This article originally appeared on Cincinnati Enquirer: Cincinnati Reds pull off 56-year first in win over Houston Astros
admin_news