With Triston Casas hurt, what's next for the Red Sox at first base?
BOSTON — Now, in what can only be described as an unfortunate turn of events, we’ll get to see what the Red Sox will look like without Triston Casas in 2025.
Following through on the trade talks that percolated just below the surface last offseason would have been preferable to this outcome in the May 2 game. Boston’s first baseman could be facing an extended period out of action, and the organization’s opportunities to replace him are now far more limited.
Casas was removed in the bottom of the second inning after suffering what manager Alex Cora described as a “significant (left) knee injury.” He was running out a tapper back to Minnesota Twins pitcher Joe Ryan in what developed into a 6-1 victory at Fenway Park.
Ryan fumbled the grounder along the line toward first and threw toward the bag. Casas stumbled across and went down at the edge of the infield dirt, immediately reaching for his left knee with both hands. He remained on his back while Cora and athletic trainer Brandon Henry examined him, with a stretcher eventually wheeled out to take Casas toward a waiting ambulance and local hospital for more extensive testing.
“It seemed like he was in shock to be honest with you,” Cora said. “He said in a way that he didn’t feel it.
“It’s tough. He works so hard. We want him on the field. That’s a hustle play, too, and that happened.”
Romy Gonzalez replaced Casas as a pinch runner and at first base, something we might see more frequently in the coming days and weeks. The Red Sox have no obvious long-term answer on their bench or blue-chip prospect at that position in the system who could be summoned to fill the spot as needed. Nick Sogard and Vaughn Grissom are both on the 40-man roster at Triple-A Worcester while Nathan Hickey and Abraham Toro have also worked as corner infielders.
“We’re a big family in here that comes to the ballpark every single day,” Red Sox third baseman Alex Bregman said. “To see one of your guys go down like that is really tough.”
Boston could opt to shuffle its position players a bit and create a fit in the infield. Connor Wong could come out from behind the plate and Blake Sabol or Yasmani Grandal could be called from Triple-A Worcester to share the catching spot with Carlos Narvaez. Wong appeared in 10 games at first base last season and is just back from a broken bone in his left hand.
“You don’t expect that,” Cora said. “And when you see the cart you’re like, ‘Oh, this is more than a twisted ankle.’”
Casas played in just 63 games last season due to a ribcage injury he suffered while swinging a bat during an April game against Pittsburgh. He played in just one game over the next four months before returning in the middle of August. The Red Sox were on their way to missing the playoffs and Casas closed with a .241/.337/.462 slash line.
“I feel frustrated for him because he went through something similar last year and missed a lot of time,” Red Sox designated hitter Rafael Devers said through interpreter Carlos Villoria Benitez. “I feel bad on a personal level.”
Casas and the organization have been unable to reach a contract extension that would void some or all of his arbitration years, an arrangement similar to the one enjoyed by Brayan Bello, Ceddanne Rafaela and Kristian Campbell. Boston reportedly engaged with the Seattle Mariners during the offseason in an attempt to bolster its pitching staff and couldn’t make any progress. The Red Sox never seriously pursued free agents at first base like Pete Alonso, Christian Walker or Paul Goldschmidt with Casas still on their roster.
Casas was off to a slow start through 29 games, batting just .182 with a .580 OPS. Boston hoped his pedigree as a first-round draft pick in 2018 and strong progress through the minor leagues would eventually show in the form of stardom this season. Now the Red Sox are left wondering if and when he might see the field again in 2025 and beyond.
“It sucks to be honest with you,” Cora said. “That’s the part you don’t like with the job – when guys get hurt or when you send people down.
“It’s pretty tough. They put so much effort and work in the offseason to try to play 162 (games) plus. And then something like that happens.”
On X: @BillKoch25
This article originally appeared on The Providence Journal: Red Sox have no easy answers to replace Triston Casas at first base
admin_news